Monday, August 20, 2012

Post-Vacation Blues

Today was our family's return to our "normal", post-vacation lives.

And, I think, like the end of any good vacation, there is a certain sadness about it.

It was sad to say goodbye to Nick this morning, knowing that it'd be just me and Cora together again all day.  I must admit, I got awfully used to having a second full-time parent around, especially one that wasn't busy working late from home and taking classes.  I think I actually got over the small nagging feeling that I have every time I am not the one actively engaging with Cora.  You know that feeling?  That little ball of guilt that you know shouldn't legitimately be there, but that you can't help feeling anyway?

Yes, it was definitely nice to have a full 2 weeks away from our typical day-to-day to share with our little family as we trekked down to visit family and friends. 

The last time Nick took a comparable amount of time off work (3 weeks, to be honest) was when Cora was born.  I remember thinking how great it would be for him to have 3 weeks away from work to bond with her and to get used to being a parent. For all of us to adjust to our new roles.

But with Cora just getting out of the NICU as he returned to work, it just didn't feel right.  As happy as we were to get her home, we were both afraid to leave me home alone with her, especially with all her feeding difficulties, the NG tube, her horrific reflux, heart failure, medications, and her upcoming heart surgery.  Thank goodness Nick's boss ended up letting him work from home until her surgery.  But even so... certainly not a vacation. 

Today Cora and I got back into the swing of a typical day.  For some reason I had technical difficulties at work, so I couldn't log in to do my usual work during her naptime (I'm sure I have a ton of catch up to do), so instead I got to mop the floors and finish my car-seat cleanup.  We even went to the zoo for a couple of hours, where Cora got to practice her new pointing skills and even pet a box turtle with her little pointer finger.  Yes, life has gone on like before.

Daddy Monster and Baby Monster are just finishing up their evening wrestling match with Baby Monster still showing off her impressive and increasing vocal skills.  Jammies are on, dinner and dishes are done.  Time to get this show on the road and wrap up the day.

Ah, life goes on.

Aren't they the sweetest pair?


3 comments:

  1. Glad you had a good vacation! I hate the post-vacation blues too! Hope things settle in quickly for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are home safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!