Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What a Day

It's 10:00 pm and little Cora was just swaddled up and settled down, hopefully for the whole night.  She's pretty medicated and is supposedly not really awake but has still gotten agitated off and on.  She really doesn't like it when the nurses come and mess with any of her many lines and tubes.

The doctor was just in and said that all her labs look great, except that her potassium is a little low (due to the diuretics) so they're going to give her some more potassium.  She's on narcotic pain meds, Tylenol, meds for her heart, pain meds, an IV solution, stomach acid reducers, and I think that is all.  Oh yeah... earlier they gave her some other meds to help with her anxiety.  It was during an episode of thrashing around and getting really upset and it was amazing.  In went the Ativan into her central line and she suddenly went peaceful.  Whew.  I think I needed some of that myself.  Or I would have if I'd have had to continue watching her be upset.

Of course, my mind isn't at its sharpest at this point.  It's like baby brain times ten.  I finally took a little nap after she was settled and calm this afternoon and feel like a new person.  I don't think I had ever felt so tired in my life.  A lovely friend dropped off a great dinner for us tonight and we went out to the bus and decompressed for an hour with a beer while Grammy and Grandpa sat with Cora.  That was nice.  I felt guilty to leave her for a bit, but I think we needed that little escape... to finally release a little bit of all the built up pressure we've been feeling for the last couple of days.  And they tell us that it's good timing now, since she's sedated and not really aware of what's going on.

We are exhausted and drained.  And happy too.

Looking forward to tomorrow and hoping that she can get off the ventilator soon so that she will be on her way out of the PICU.  But I'm a little nervous for tomorrow since I hate to see her upset and agitated.  And I can't imagine her being conscious and content with her current restrictions in movement, as well as all the stuff sticking out of her body.  But I know that she is doing well, and that they are staying on top of her pain and her anxiety.

We are so thankful that she is doing so well.  Thankful for the skill of the surgeons, the care of all the nurses, anesthesiologists, respiratory therapists and staff.  And very very thankful for all of the love and support of our friends and family.  Thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and support.

Warning:  Post-operative pictures below: shows incision site.


1 comment:

  1. Such a precious baby girl! Praying for her and you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!